check to have links open new windows

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Putting down the brush

This happens to me all the time, I'll do some sort of work, build a website, design an advertisement, write a column, whatever, and everybody who sees it says "Hey that's great, I loved it." There are precious few people who can look you in the eye and say, "No, I think this sucks," or better yet, offer criticisim "The menu is confusing, what if you do it this way"

So I get to thinking, does everybody live in a world like this? How often do we hear that our work isn't great? Even when you work in an artistic or creative field, most of the time you get zero negative feedback. I guess it's because it hurts your feelings when someone tells you the thing you worked for hours on doesnt cut the mustard. (what the hell does that even mean?)

But that's part of being an adult right? Being able to take it when somebody points out the flaws in your masterpiece. I can take it, I know I can, because I'm lucky enough to know one or two people who are willing to hurt my feelings to make my work better.

It still sucks, though, don't get me wrong, and I certainly don't need any new volunteers telling me why I suck.

Do we all live in this fantasy world where we are all very competent? Are we all naked emperors complimenting each other's clothing?

Tonight for instance, I built a website for this place, they're most likely going to say "oooh its wonderful," pay me and move on.

But I see the design and think how awful it is and how people are insane to pay me to do it.

Yet they do.

So it must be ok.

I guess.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Criticism.... Here's some for you.

You are the laziest person I know. I am sorry I taught you the snooze button trick. Every nine minutes suck for someone who does not have to get up. Also, I looked all over the house and cannot find your sunglasses. Yesterday they were on the table but now they are gone. Therefore, you must be the most losiest person also. As far as your work goes, there is no way in hell I could do it so take it easy on yourself. You are by far your worst critic, take a pill. Your work is great. But of course, as an artist (say that with a french accent) your creation is never complete.

Love you and all that you do for us.

Mon Nov 28, 10:00:00 AM EST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always feel the same way when I design a site. As a left brainer art is not my forte so that adds to my doubt. Yet when I demo the sites I never get complaints. Maybe society trains us not to point out flaws in the work of others and only a few of us grow the intestinal fortitude to ignore that and give critiques where they are needed.

Mon Nov 28, 06:32:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home