check to have links open new windows

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Why I will never work as a sysAdmin

You see, I could work as a system administrator, or some other computer geek job. But I don't like stupid people. Don't get me wrong, the work I do now involves lots of stupid people. Frankly, in my business, darling, I need people like that. But I can pretend to be one of them, and most of the time they don't notice.

This means I don't get blamed for things people don't understand. I don't have people calling and asking me stupid questions, and if they do, I can pretend not to know the answer. Best of all, nobody threatens to call the FBI on me because they're too stupid to read.

The Tuttle, Oklahoma city manager, Jerry Taylor threatened to call the FBI on a Corpus Christi software developer because he couldn't access the city's website. The city's website was hosted on a free linux distro from centos. If you've ever configured an apache server, you've seen something very much like this. If you can't understand what that all means, you should call your favorite geek, and he'll tell you what to do.

Not Jerry Taylor. He threatened Johnny Hughes at CentOs. Yep, that's the answer, I can't see my website, so it's clearly HACKERS! and not just hackers, but hackers who clearly post their name and contact info on the page they've "hacked."

Read the whole correspondence here.


Meanwhile, if you're running a web server and need a free linux distro, I suggest contacting Johnny Hughes at CentOs, he seems like a really patient and forgiving kind of geek. (And he's in Corpus Christi, which automatically makes him cool- it's sort of like Tempe that way.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, so jerry taylor.

unlike him, i am a computer retard and i have no experience in computers (other than my profession as a blogger). however, after reading the lovely and insightful correspondence between he and Johnny (yeah, i followed the links again-happy now?), i feel like a computer wizard.

thank you, jerry, for illustrating that i am smarter than most people, a fact that my husband regularly tries to convince me of.

and thank you, johnny, for having the patience to deal with idgets. if i did not already have my own, personal posse of geeks to abuse, i would call on you.

Thu Jun 01, 11:52:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here come the geek posse now...

That conversation would have me rolling on the floor if it weren't the story of my life...

Sysadmin out.

Mon Jun 12, 02:19:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home