check to have links open new windows

Monday, September 12, 2005

And another thing

I hate the fact that someone has decided to change a fundemental rule of the English language.

In English, when the sex of a (singular) person is unknown, that person may be identified with the pronoun "he."

At least that's what they tought us in school.

But nooooooo

I haven't read anything published anywhere in the last 2 years that used this rule, in fact the opposite has happened. At first, it was "they" even though we knew we were talking about a single person. Then, without warning, suddenly everything says "she" or "her."

I am finding a lot of this because I am reading baby manuals and everywhere I look "our baby" is a female pronoun.

It just ain't right I tell you.

I know some of you may like the change, well to hell with you. I liked it the old way. I found comfort in knowing there was a rule there, that you couldn't just assign gender willy-nilly.

(I have always wanted to say willy-nilly in a post.)

Thank you.

2 Comments:

Blogger JC said...

Seriously, does anybody know how to stop these ads?

Mon Sep 12, 09:10:00 PM EDT  
Blogger JC said...

If you want a good laugh, follow the spammer's link, it's an admitted schizophrenic's attempt at spamming up a new religion.

Mon Sep 12, 09:35:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home