check to have links open new windows

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Something light

Today's NY daily news reports a woman filed a complaint against her doctor because he advised her to lose weight. Wow, that sounds ludicrous.

Bennett also told the 5-foot-7, 250-pound woman that she was statistically likely to outlive her also-obese husband and that she would have a hard time finding a new man as a fat woman. "I talked to an obese patient, told her the truth, she was offended," Bennett told NBC's "Today" show yesterday.

You're kidding right? At which class in harvard did they cover 'bedside manner?'
Seriously, imagine that conversation, what is the polite way to say that?
"You know, you're probably going to outlive your fat-ass husband, and you won't be able to find another one unless you lose some weight."

I don't think this woman's dating future is really anything that needs brought at a medical exam, and while she will probably be ridiculed in the press, I think her complaint was justified. Sure, you can advise your patient to lose weight, but do you have to be a dick? And who's to say she'll have trouble finding another man if she wants to? Jeez.

I know I havent posted in a week, I have been working on a website for a community newspaper here in columbus, I am not telling you where it is yet because it's not 100% done, so just wait, you'll be seeing me on google news before you know it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I just stumbled onto your page while exploring the realm of the "Next Blog" button. Kudos on a thought provoking blog where substance replaces much of the inane drivel of the blogsphere. Now on with the topic at hand...

This is the first place I have found his remarks about it being hard to find a new husband if she outlives her current one. (I am admittedly not as up on the news as I shoud be.) That one remark changes my whole view of this case. Telling someone they could die if they don't lose weight is tough love. Telling someone they aren't attractive because of weight is rude and insensitive and more likely to cause one not to follow the proffered advise. Thanks for getting the whole story out there.

Thu Aug 25, 02:53:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jacquie Fuller said...

Well, Doc, with that microscopic cock of yours, it looks like you'll be in trouble when your wife dies. Ever heard the term "more to love"? Here's my number.

Mon Sep 12, 03:48:00 PM EDT  
Blogger JC said...

That was awesome!

If only she was quick enough to think of that, she never would have had to sue.

Mon Sep 12, 08:37:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home